Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tree Hugging Neighbors

(You'll have to pause my music playlist to hear the sound on the video)

So I left for my run this morning, turned the corner, and then I saw the sidewalk barricaded with a bunch of policeman on one side and a bunch of hippies on the other side. Across the street there were news crews staking out a chunk of the sidewalk to park their vans. One of the protesting hippies held a sign saying "Save the Oaks" with a website so I checked it out when I got home. As is turns out tomorrow is the day the court is deciding whether it is legal for the university to cut down the trees to build a new sports complex. The Berkeley Grandmothers for the Oaks are inviting everyone to a candlelight vigil tonight and a slumber party at the oak grove tomorrow night . Just another bit of Berkeley for ya!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm sure you'll be there!

Teresa said...

gotta love Berkeley!

Zach and Nikki said...

How funny! Well, you are pretty close to Oregon aren't you and that's where the highest population of tree huggers live isn't it?