Although we haven't actively supported certain candidates we have been supporting Proposition 8. This topic has been one of concern, especially here in Berkeley. I attended a special church broadcast in October that urged church members to do everything they can to help support this cause. I have friends that deal with same gender attraction, I love them and believe that God loves us all equally. After attending the church broadcast I read an article called The Divine Institution of Marriage that I already posted about here. I also read an interview done with Elder Oaks and Elder Wickman on the issue of same-sex attraction. Both of these articles helped me greatly in understanding this important issue.
One of Elder Wickman's quotes that really stood out to me was this, "For openers, marriage is neither a matter of politics, nor is it a matter of social policy. Marriage is defined by the Lord Himself. It's the one institution that is ceremoniously performed by priesthood authority in the temple [and] transcends this world. It is of such profound importance… such a core doctrine of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, of the very purpose of the creation of this earth. One hardly can get past the first page of Genesis without seeing that very clearly. It is not an institution to be tampered with by mankind, and certainly not to be tampered with by those who are doing so simply for their own purposes. There is no such thing in the Lord's eyes as something called same-gender marriage."
Rex and I believe this and feel that it is worth standing up for. On Saturday morning some of our friends that live in Oakland called and asked us if we wanted to help by holding signs at a big intersection in Oakland. Although we got soaked to the bone by the rain and got many mean glances and words, we also saw others who were in support of our cause. I've never done something like that before and I have to admit that I was a bit upset when we drove by an hour later and all of the signs we put up were taken down (isn't that illegal?). However, I am glad I did it!
We talked with a couple of the No supporters that were there and I really wished I had a picture of our friend Derek sharing his umbrella with one of the No supporters. Seeing them stand there together, each with their opposite campaign signs gave me hope that no matter what happens that we can all treat one another with respect and love.
8 comments:
Thank you for doing your part, Amy! You have the right perspective.
Thank you for your comments and quotes on this post. I to am a YES on 8 and will look forward to tomorrow's results on the matter!
Good work! It's really scary what could happen if that proposition goes through. The sad thing is that so many people feel that if you oppose prop 8 you must hate anyone who would benefit from it- which couldn't be further from the truth in so many instances. It's really a matter of what's right is right and what's wrong is wrong.
YES on Prop 8!!!! Thanks Rex for your words in sacrament meeting too. And thanks for the great articles. I voted today and Jason and I said YES to prop 8!
Good for you guys. Way to be brave and stand up for Prop 8... and in Berkeley of all places. Here's hoping!
Way to stand up and do your part! I am so glad it passed and that is it all over with! I was worried.
I'm so proud of you two! Isn't it amazing that you just happened to live in Cali for this important vote. Thanks for all you did. Best wishes with the crazy fall-out that is starting to plaster the news.
I'm so proud of you guys. Way to hold the line. That is so scary what is happening now...
Post a Comment